Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Time Machine

I have always said it and will say it again "Todays music has no fire". I am 31, which means that I shouldn't have a grasp on what is "happening" in music today - and I am ok with that. I don't really have unrealistic musical prejudices like some other people. My criteria is simple: make it catchy, maybe a little edgy, an actual performance (no, copy and paste in Pro Tools does not count...sorry) and have some energy. It's not a particular style that I dig over another, I truly like all kinds of music. I could tell you a track listing from Buffalo Springfield album as easily as one from Simple minds or Wes Montgomery. I realize that I am not a fan of performances where someone doesn't give it their all or when an album is made that is transparent. We are in an age where producers like to take all of the credit for 'creating' a great album: Bob rock, Butch Vig, Mutt Lang...the list goes on and on. Remember an album is a document, the performance is what really counts. A performer interacting with an audience and vice versa. Energy. Fire. Talent.
Enough of the ranting. I found this on Youtube. Another band that wasn't promoted well enough in the United States during the 60's: The Move. A few years later they become ELO, but that's a different story. Remember, when it comes to playing live: it's not tools, it's the carpenter. These guys played through an archaic sound system and had to have it together. This performance meets all of the criteria I mentioned earlier. Enjoy.

No comments: