Thursday, December 27, 2007

Manikin Memotron

I am a musical instrument enthusiast. If it has strings, keys or you can hit it - I want to have some sort of contact with it. I love the sound of old analog synths especially, they could make a or break a song back in the day. One of my favorite keyboard instruments of all time was the "Mellotron". The "Mellotorn" was a keyboard that had physical tape loop sound banks that were recordings of "Live" instruments. It was a bear to haul around, keep in working order etc. - but it was really worth it (I guess) if you wanted the thickest-richest string, horn, choral sounds around at the time (or even today in my opinion). I have seen Mellotrons go for a pretty penny on Ebay, even the ones in shitty condition. They stopped making them several years ago when lighter, easier to care for keyboards like polymoogs and other sweet ass synths were taking over. A few years back I saw that someone had bought up the old factory that made Mellotrons and other variations and were remaking them with improved mechanics. They were fetching a pretty big dollar, around $6000 if I am not mistaken. I could only dream of spending that kind of money on a musical instrument and even if had the loot, 6 grand, no thanks. So, surfing through Ebay the other day I found an ad for what was called a "Manikin Memotron". It is a digital version of the Mellotron and runs about $2500 or so - much more affordable, not to mention transportable. The sound banks are from the original Mellotron tapes (awsome!) and it has a pitch changer (sweet!). You can check out sound samples on their webpage. I am, for once, very happy. i figure i can buy this and throw a tube preamp in front of it to warm it up a bit and instant musical ejaculation. I begin my saving for this item...now.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

If your not sure what a Mellotron sounds like, download and listen to one of the following tunes:
Genesis - "Watcher of the Skies" (intro)
The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever" (intro)
The Moody Blues - "Nights in White Satin"

Werd,
M

No comments: